add

Tuesday 26 June 2018

Nigeria Vs Argentina Match - My Experience


"God of Nigeria break Messi leg o, show yourself."

It was my hair stylist exclaiming as she applied polish on my nails. I was at the Salon and was getting my nails done having had my hair fixed when the match between Nigeria and Argentina kicked off.

Before I could respond to her prayer a lady whose weave was being sewn on retorted, "Which Messi? His career is gone, if you are talking about Ronaldo I'll understand but Messi is not a threat. Na before he sabi play nor be now."

I had turned to look at her as she spoke and as soon as she landed a young girl who was waiting to have her lashes done spoke up again, "Messi is old and this is even his last world cup as he will retire in 2020."

Before she finished her statement, my Stylist cried out again "God of Nigeria show yourself o, break Messi leg for us make e nor see leg take play this ball"

As she spoke I realized that the one thing more interesting than watching football, is watching fans as they watch football as almost everyone becomes an expert cum Coach analyzing the moves of players and predicting when to pass or attack or hold on to the ball.

It's funny how everyone except the actual players seem to know just what to do to win the match.

As the game went on, almost everyone had something to say.

One of the ladies reminded the Stylist that Argentina had good players aside Messi but she ignored her and kept on with her prayers for Messi to suffer a fracture.

Someone thought the blood of citizens being killed in Nigeria may cry out against our team and another thought the President should have called the players before the match to encourage them and yet another thought the World Cup has distracted Nigerians from the challenges on ground.

One of the ladies thought her blood pressure had skyrocketed and had to rush out of the salon because in her words "I nor fit die for match when dem go still dash Mikel and him boys millions".

The group who simply prayed for footballer husbands were there admiring and prophesying.

As the match ended a lady who barely said a word during the game shook her head and hissed "na dat our Presido hand when dem go shake naim cause dis tin so, how dem go win?...msheeew".

I almost saumasaulted, 'how does a handshake affect a team's preparedness and performance?'

I wouldn't say I enjoyed the game but I had a great time as I was so engrossed with watching and listening to fans as they watched and analyzed the game that I forgot it had gotten late.

I laughed out so loud at intervals and even though the Super Eagles lost to Argentina, I think that for a girl whose goal is to just be happy, it was a fulfilling evening and an enjoyable experience for me.

I hope it was for you too.

Xoxo!😜

2 comments:

  1. That match really got me asking myself... Is it that too much praises infects the mind to focus?... Well dont have much to say about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people say the Super Eagles put up a good fight but it seems the praises infected their mind and affected their performance because Musa didn't deliver as he boasted that he would.

      The world cup continues, life goes on.

      Thank you Instinct for your thoughts.

      Delete