add

Sunday 3 November 2019

He Was Big and Tall and Dark and Happy



I recently received news that an Uncle of mine had died after an illness. He was 61 years old.

I screamed as my Mum told me, I could tell from her voice that she had been crying. They were quite close.

I comforted her and urged her not to dwell too much on his death but on the fact that he lived well. I reminded her also that it was enough reason to be grateful for her life.

I called several times afterwards just to urge her not to be afraid because I knew she would feel fear knowing that her once bubbly brother now laid cold and lifeless, gone forever.

As I went about my duties for the day, I kept thinking of him. I had not seen him in years but growing up, he was one of those people who seemed larger than life.

He was really tall, dark and big. All of my 5 feet and 4 inches frame reached up to his ribs when he held me.
He had a deep, rich voice and spoke rather loudly. He was boisterous but stern. He reprimanded without holding back and loved to drink but he was a hard worker.

As I thought of him, the temporalness and transiense of life dawned on me. Life is fleeting. Short. Brief.

It's like Elton John sang about the late Princess Diana "she lived her life like a candle in the wind."

A candle in the wind can have its fire blown out at any time.
Humans are like that, here today and gone tomorrow, never to be seen again.

Moments like this make one question the essence of life and makes every offense seem forgivable. I mean, why hold on to a grudge or pride when you are not even sure what tomorrow holds?

I think of my uncle, a man who made me laugh many times as a child. A man who also reprimanded me and others. He was one of those I thought would be there when I get married - he always wanted me to bring HIM. He was a man who seemed like he could take on anything. He had a presence that enveloped any room he walked into and could easily have been called 'Anikulapo', one who carries death in his pouch.

I was told that he lost a lot of weight due to the illness he suffered. But, I choose to remember him as I last saw him - big and tall and dark and lively and happy and healthy.

I choose to remember him so I will not forget to be grateful for life, family and love.

I choose to live more from intention than habit.

I choose to remember God and live this life He has given me as a sacrifice to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment