add

Thursday 7 November 2019

Forgetting June



I looked at the movie title again before deciding whether to trash the DVD. 
I was rummaging stuff I had not touched in over a year. Movies, music albums, old journals, daily devotionals from years past all tied in a bag.
I tossed the things I didn't need and kept those I thought I would still need.

The movie 'FORGETTING JUNE' was one of them. It was given to me by an acquaintance years ago and I couldn't return it before relocating.

As I held the DVD I recalled the arguments I had with him and others about the story line which I didn't like.

The movie tells the story of a young happily married couple who were seriously in love. Suddenly the wife gets involved in a fatal accident - almost all the passengers were burnt alive - and the man thinks she is dead. He decides to date her best friend only for her to resurface after he impregnates and marries her best friend. Turned out she didn't die but was rescued by a good samaritan who nurses her to health and keeps her as his 'lover' because she lost her memory in the accident. She recovers her memory after a while and returns to her husband...yadayada *rolling my eyes*

Her name is June. When June returns, her husband had to choose between her and the best friend turned wife. Given the bond they shared as depicted before the accident, I thought he would pick his now resurrected wife in a heart beat but Oga chose the friend. Really? You choose a woman you knew yesterday over your wife whom by the way, you were head over heels in love with until you thought she had died?

I thought it didn't make sense but others said it is possible. Again, really? Is it that easy to just forget a person who gave us great memories? Moreso in this case where a false news of death separated them?

Personally, I have moved on from people without batting an eyelid or pausing for a moment to miss them. So I guess that makes me like June's husband right? Nah, I wasn't married to any of them.

I have learned though that we can easily forget some people even after spending years with them, but miss others whose skin we never touched and whose smell we do not know.

There are voices and laughter that will stay nestled in a tiny part of our brains. And when we least expect, we would hear them.

So maybe June's husband didn't forget her but his heart found a voice that spoke to it like no one else ever had. And so his soul chose that voice.

Maybe it's part of being human. Inability to let go of certain memories while easily flushing some down our mental sewage tank.

Maybe forgetting is an art that requires the right amount of time, practice, patience and love.

And maybe, June's husband would someday realize that he never really forgot her as a tiny part of him would see, feel and hear her in movies, songs, places and even in the arms of the one he finally chose.

I have trashed the DVD and now listening to Zayn Malik and Sia's 'Dusk till Dawn'.

C'est bien.

No comments:

Post a Comment