add

Monday 4 November 2019

Beware of What You Become Else...



"I have given it serious thought and I want to go ahead. I just don't think I have the patience for a baby or a toddler."

I searched her face for a sign that said she was joking, but there was none.

I smiled because I didn't know what else to say and then quickly said "Good thing, you are open to adopting. There are kids who just need a good heart and home."

I studied her. A woman in her forties, beautiful and financially independent.

I wanted to ask if she had made enquiries on the process of adoption in Nigeria but I didn't.

I simply sighed and she shrugged as if to say "I wish I could turn back the hands of time."

I do not know her story but I had seen the look she had, on the faces of others before.

I have seen it on the face of the Executive advising me not to trade time for loved ones and family in pursuit of a career. 
I have seen it on the faces of men and women who are stuck in a marriage because they were too scared to walk out before they said "I do". 
I have seen it on the faces of men who say they lost a good woman because they didn't treat her well. I have seen it on the faces of women who say they lost a good man because they were impatient. 
I have heard it in the voices of people who wish they had acquired formal education when they had the opportunity. 
I have seen it in the eyes of those who wish they had been brave enough to pursue their dreams. 
I have heard it in the voices of those who say they have realized that they are no longer as young as they once were. 
I have heard it in the voices of people who wish they had said some things when they had the opportunity and those who wish they hadn't said some things to those they loved. 
I have seen it on the faces of people who carried out criminal acts out of anger or even envy. 

I know the look of regret and have seen it many times especially because as a Broadcast Journalist, I meet people who while sharing their stories, express deep regrets sometimes unintentionally. 
One thing they all seem to say is "life is transient, make the most of it while you can" and one reality they have to deal with is that they have missed their turn.

The underlying message with each expression of regret though is what Jim Rohn said "beware of what you become in pursuit of what you want."

There are sacrifices that are inevitable to achieve certain goals but we must be sure to prioritize.
Pursue a career, make money, get those degrees, own as many homes as you dream of, start that business, get into or leave that relationship, do whatever you have planned but be intentional enough to pause once in a while and pay attention to other things that matter like family, friends, children, the community of people around you and most importantly a relationship with Jesus Christ.

It's like the Bible says to us about "redeeming the time."

Be ambitious but don't overdo it because you may look back only to realize that it cost you too much and made you compromise your virtues and values.

The most devastating thing would be to see that you finally got everything you wanted but are unhappy.

 "Is this thing turning me into someone I am not?" "What am I becoming?" These are questions we must pause to answer once in a while.

So by all means dream big, aim high, aspire for more and pay the price required but BEWARE of what you BECOME in pursuit of what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment