add

Wednesday 28 November 2018

Love Is For Fools, Would You be A Fool?


"Wise men say only fools rush in but I can't help falling in love with you"... 

Elvis Presley sang these lines years ago in his song 'Can't Help Falling In Love' and I had to download it again after I saw the movie 'Crazy Rich Asians'.

Great movie, beautiful cinematography, familiar story but beautifully interpreted, it also showed a different side to Asia as opposed to the 'Kung-fu' story that has been told for years. 

So back to the talk about love being for fools. It is true. 

Love is for fools. 

Love is for those who are willing to overlook faults they usually wouldn't put up with. Love isn't for wise people because the bitter truth about love is that this is easier 'said' than 'done'. Sometimes what life brings may be more than you bargained for causing to realize that you never loved 'enough'. 
This is what happened in the story I'm about to share. 

 I recently set out to do a report on the plight of children living with disability in Nigeria. I wanted to focus on access to education for them especially as the 'Disabilities Bill' is yet to be passed into law so I contacted a Doctor I worked with about 2 month ago and asked for contacts. He sent me the contact of another Doctor who sent me the contact of another who sent me the contact of a Man that volunteers with an NGO for people with disabilities. He in turn connected with someone else, whom I finally got to meet after about 2 weeks of communication and planning. 

He is a Speech Therapist currently working with child living with Cerebral Palsy. Most children we call Imbeciles actually have Cerebral Palsy, a condition that can be managed. I wouldn't focus too much on it so this post wouldn't be too lengthy but you can read about it. 

He told me his patient's family wouldn't mind sharing their story so I set out for an interview with them. That was when I met Abdul, a 15 year old boy with Cerebral Palsy. 

Abdul lives with his Grandparents who have done really well in managing his condition and so unlike other children Abdul can walk, use a computer, write, mop and run errands. He even took photos of me but he is still learning to talk. This isn't really the story. 

The story is about his parents - both Medical Doctors. Abdul's parents met many years ago and after a beautiful relationship, they got married vowing to be together for BETTER or WORSE. Until worse came. They had a baby - Abdul who has Cerebral Palsy and his was a third degree damage. 

His father disowned the child because according to him, "that cannot be his child." His mother however couldn't turn her back on her son and the marriage ended. The vows, promises made and oaths taken were quickly forgotten in the midst of life's challenges. This was more than was bargained for. 

To cut my story short, Abdul's Mum did her best to cater to her son until she died a few years ago, leaving Abdul with his grandparents. 

His father seem to have come around and is now trying to be a Daddy for Abdul but the past cannot be erased. He left the love of his life in the cold when she needed him the most. He couldn't keep his part of 'for better or worse'. He couldn't handle the challenge life threw at them. His love was either not enough or he never really loved at all. My only surprise is that he is also a Medical Doctor who should have known better. 

I am not saying it is that easy but that is what loving is, there are no guarantees. 

You chose a person and walk into a future not knowing what it holds. I guess it is why wise men say "only fools fall in love", it is because you can't be wise in love. 
It is a 'fool' that will not keep a record of wrongs.

It is a 'fool' that forgives and chooses to be there no matter what. 
It is a fool that makes sacrifice just to keep the other safe. 
You can't be wise in love because you will turn a blind eye to faults, deaf ears to talks and protect with your arms. 

Love is beautiful and may be the greatest gift you receive. 
It strengthens the weak and weakens the strong but its enormous benefits can only be enjoyed by those bold enough to 'become fools for love'.

P.S: Love and Stupidity are not the same.

2 comments:

  1. Nice article, I've learnt something large today that will be of good help to me in the near future! Thanks for this Admin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you learned something, I do hope it is useful. You are welcome, thank you too Peter.

      Delete