add

Sunday 25 November 2018

Be Like Travis. Be Like Beyoncé.


The time was 6:56am. Four more minutes before I go on air with the news.

The DJ in the studio notified me that in 4 minutes I'd be live and added "I'll just play one more song and we are good to go, alright?"
I nodded and did a thumbs up to show that I got it.

Then the song came up. Travis Green was singing 'Nara' the one in which he teamed up with Tim Godfrey.
This song is currently on the list of most played/sung gospel songs in Nigeria and whenever it's played folks sing along with excitement because it is such a beautiful song of thanksgiving and also because an American is singing in Igbo language and he did it well - I'm not Igbo but I have heard Igbo people say he did well.

When I hear him though, I hear the voice of an Artist who is willing to push the boundaries, one who understands that leaving your comfort zone is the way to go if you must stand out, do, reach for and be more.
I imagine how long it to for Travis to learn to pronounce the words because even I still cannot sing them well
'Chukwu na gwom'oria le.
When You heal, You heal completely.
Narekele mo.
Chukwu mar'obimo Isi ikendu le.
Narekele mo'

Choi! I keep mispronouncing the words, telling myself it's the thought that counts. So I wonder how many nights Travis stayed up with Tim or any other tutor doing tutorials in Igbo language.

I imagine them laughing as he mispronounced some words while still learning.
I imagine him repeating the words over and over again till he got them right.
I imagine the time and effort put into giving us the gift we now enjoy.

It only takes one with a desire for excellence to deliver especially because most Nigerian Gospel artists in my opinion are lazy. I have more Gospel songs on my Playlist so I should know. Its almost as if they assume that since it's about praising God, saying Jehovah, Jesus or God and repeating one line over and again is good enough.
Tim Godfrey and Travis Green's 'Nara' is a good song and even though it's not entirely original, a lot of work and obvious dedication went into it. Little wonder it is the hit we all know it to be.

As I read the news that Sunday morning, I told myself I'll do my best to go over and beyond, raise the bar and push the limits in my work, relationships and life.
Like Travis if I have to learn to speak Swahili, Mandarin or Cantonese for my work, I will learn to speak it such that the natives will pause and turn in my direction - err, I'll need time to learn too.
For now I'll stick with English, Urhobo and Pidgin...na small small.

On a serious note, until you are willing to tread in unfamiliar territory you may just remain average.

God called you to do and be more!

I remember reading about Beyoncé's preparation for this year's Coachella.
She went on an animal free diet and became vegan, rehearsed for 11 good hours daily and hired about 100 dancers - talk about dedication to your craft. And after Beyoncé performed that night in April, Coachella was renamed 'Beychella'.

She put her name on it and dropped the mic!

She earned it by putting in the work, sheer hard work.

So today make a (re)commitment to be like Travis and Beyonce, get out of your comfort zone - in work, school, play, leisure, pleasure...life.

Go the extra mile. Reach for, Do and Be more!

2 comments:

  1. This is currently my favourite song but I have not looked at it from this perspective. This is deep thinking here and it is inspiring.

    I thank God for Travis and Tim. I thank God for you too.

    The extra added to the ordinary is what makes us extraordinary. I will do better to be more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God for you too and thank you for your comments.

    Nara is a great song any day and I'm glad you were inspired by my thoughts. I do not take it for granted, thank you.

    ReplyDelete