add

Sunday 22 July 2018

It All Comes Down To Love


"You have everything it takes to achieve your dreams. Your past doesn't matter, your future will be great and your path is paved of God. You are beautiful." She said in response to what I told her.

At that point I turned to my colleague who was by my right hand side, looked him in the eyes and said 'Everything you desire will come to pass, you are valuable regardless of the mistakes you may have made. God is on your side and he will grant your heart's desire.'

He responded with "What is ahead of you is better than what you started with. Just like Job your latter will be greater than your former. You are valuable and beautiful. For every loss you have suffered you will receive double."

As I muttered my thanks he leaned closer and added "you will receive double for your trouble" and I smiled at his attempt to rhyme. At this point the Pastor asked "How do you feel? Can you see that we all have the capability to bless and encourage others? We should do that more, bless, appreciate and encourage."

It was during service today.

Pastor Chris Ugoh was preaching and had in the course of the sermon asked everyone to stand up and encourage the people on their right and left hand side. "Just tell them words that will encourage them" he instructed.

It was to buttress the point he had made that we can see the good in others if we choose to and always say the right things about others if we are intentional.

I nodded in agreement just as everyone else, and I thought this an exercise worth practicing - everyday.

To be honest it was not easy at first. Looking at a stranger and searching their face for a clue on what to say. I first smiled sheepishly at the lady on my left hand side, she did the same too but after a few seconds I looked her in the eyes and spoke words of encouragement.

As the Pastor spoke I looked around and imagined the couple who were probably mad at each other even as they came into Church, the Parent(s) who may have told their child(ren) they are "good for nothing", siblings who may be holding a grudge against one another, people who had a rift in their relationship looking at each other and speaking words of encouragement to one another.

I imagined walls crumbling, affection welling up, love coming alive, passion being reignited, relationships being healed and thought this is how we should live daily.

As the sermon continued he noted that strife and envy are the major barriers to Unity and Love. "Being united isn't about thinking alike or always being in agreement but about being mature enough to put aside our differences in pursuance and achievement of a common goal." He noted.

"If we must work in unity, we must rise above that which makes us want to pull others down or envious when God blesses others."

As he went on I admitted to myself that loving others isn't easy.

It is hard.

It is hard to be patient and gentle all the time because even those we love will test us.
It is hard to speak good of others especially when we are angry with them.
It is hard to celebrate the success of others when it seems like nothing is working for you but always remember that the sky is big enough for more than one bird to fly.
What God does for them, he is able to do for you. They may just have persevered at a time when you would have given up if you were in their shoes.

Today I decided to keep company with only people who help me appreciate others and always seek the good in them.
This will not be easy but on the days when I need motivation I'll read this post again and remember that beyond passion and emotions, love is a commitment that must be renewed consciously day in and day out.

As Bebe Winans said "if I don't love you, I have missed the mark. It all comes down to love."

No comments:

Post a Comment