add

Tuesday 2 October 2018

I Tried Cauliflower & Broccoli Salad And Now I Understand Self-Love


I almost cried as I ate.

I never knew the time between chewing and swallowing could be so long. I wanted to stop but as I looked at the plate in front of me, I considered the money I spent on the meal and I forced myself to continue eating. I didn't like it but I couldn't let my money go to waste.

All I could think of was "who send me, why didn't I just buy something familiar?"
I was trying to channel my inner vegetarian but I have realized that it wasn't a wise decision, maybe there is nothing vegetarian about me.

I swallowed hard, again.

Have you ever spent your money on food you have not eaten before and ended up not liking it? Or maybe ordered an unfamiliar meal at a restaurant?

If you have then you'll understand how I felt.

I recall eating once from a friend's plate of 'Chicken and Mushroom Corn Soup' or something that sounded like that. As soon as the 'soup' that looked like Pap touched my tongue, I spat it out. If I had swallowed I would have vomited and that would have been the real embarrassment.

'Wetin be this?' Was all I could say, I didn't care that I was being laughed at.
I rinsed my mouth severally and graciously stuck with Rice and Chicken.

So how did I get there again, spending my money on food I should have left alone?

I had tried on a dress I haven't worn in 2 years and when I saw my stomach, I decided it was time to shed a little belly fat. It was the decision to cut down on Carbs and lose the belly fat that made me order a plate of 'Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with peas and some other things I do not know.'

It sounded so sophisticated and I liked the idea of saying I had 'Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad with a mixture of other Vegetables for lunch'.
It was to serve as dessert after a meal of what was called 'Sea food fried Rice', the Sea food was the attraction for me as I thought it was good for my weight loss. If I had known I wouldn't have finished the Rice before eating the Salad. It would have been easier to eat both together.

As I continued eating I reminded myself to always stick with the familiar and if that means a little belly pouch then maybe I'll pick 'Self love' over 'Weight loss' - don't judge me please.

I finally finished the Salad and heaved a sigh as I realized that nothing really is impossible if you put your mind to it.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed hard at sophisticated food, I love the realness of this piece.
    Next time stick with Starch and Banga soup, your body is beautiful as it is. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sticking with Starch, Bangalore soup and all things familiar - for now.
      May try something new soon *winks*, I have to explore, but with caution.

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete