add

Tuesday 11 September 2018

As You Wait, Make It Count


I am no stranger to waiting.

I had to wait nine months to be born, trust me it was both exciting and scary because I couldn't wait to see the world but wasn't also sure how the world would receive me.
Turns out I shouldn't have been apprehensive as the world jubilated when I came, but I cried. I was both petrified and overwhelmed.

Since that time, I have had to wait for a lot of things. 

As a child I waited excitedly for Christmas and anticipated rocking my special hairdo, wearing my dress and of course there's the food - I'm still excited about Christmas.

I have had to wait for results of examinations which has been the determinant of my educational advancement.

I have had to wait on queues - at the ATM, banking hall, hospital, restaurant and even at Church.

I have waited for events to start and end. I have had to wait for wounds to heal, I have to wait to meet people. I have to wait for responses to requests and applications made.
I am still waiting for a lot of things and will still wait for so many things while I live.

I am sure you too are no stranger to waiting, you have had to wait at different points in your life and are probably still waiting for something or someone.
The thing about waiting is that it is inevitable and it is never easy.
Another thing also is that sometimes the waiting period is definitive like the woman who knows in nine months she'll become a mother or the student that knows after four years he will become a graduate.
At other times it isn't definitive like waiting for that big break/promotion in your career or business, or waiting to get pregnant - this part isn't always easy as you may feel helpless and sometimes despondent and frustrated.

One thing I have learned is that while you may not be able to determine how long your wait will be, you can make the waiting period count and this is dependent on what you do during the wait.

So how can you make your wait count?

I have learned that it is by making the most of the waiting period.

A woman waiting to birth her baby, spends nine months planning and preparing for the child and does all she is told by her Doctor to ensure she and the baby are healthy.

A student waiting to be admitted into school, spends the waiting time reading and preparing.

An artiste waiting for the one song that would give him recognition, keeps writing and recording till he gets that one hit song.

If you have ever picked up a book to read while waiting for your flight to be announced, to see the doctor or even before that time out with friends, then you know about making the wait count.
This isn't about the book but about getting knowledge and making the time productive.

If you have done a job that isn't really what you want to do ultimately while waiting for the job you desire, then you are making the waiting period count.
It's as Shonda Rhimes said "do something until you can do something else".

Get positive experience while you wait because experience will serve you. I have learned that no experience is useless, you either win or learn.

It's as Tatiana Manaois sang "you gotta get up and make a move cos the world will never see you till you do - just know that you're not alone".

Make the most of what you have while waiting for what you want.

When you lose hope don't sink the boat.

Keep rowing, keep knocking, keep asking, keep seeking knowledge, experiences & relationships.

Keep walking, keep talking about what you want, keep your dream, keep your head up, take care of yourself and make this wait count.

2 comments:

  1. 1 hr spent doing something productive is a 60 minutes investment into a better future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very apt Hillard. Every time spent on a productive venture is an investment into a better future.
      Thank you.

      Delete