add

Monday 31 December 2018

Today I Call Him Eben, For Short


I still remember that morning in March.

I had woken up with a start, my heart heavy with a weight that had become familiar. That morning though, unlike in the past days, weeks and months I heard his voice. It was subtle but clear. I could almost picture his face, see him, touch him even. He seemed to be looking at me arms akimbo and then seem to place one hand on his cheek. The pose you take when giving someone rapt attention.

The look in his eyes seemed to say "Okiemute you can do better than this. I made you for more. Called you for more."

I looked at him briefly and looked away, I was ashamed. I was in a place I had no business being in, doing what I shouldn't even have contemplated. 
Then I looked at him again.
The look in his eyes wasn't one of reprimand, he seemed to be saying "Come home Okiemute, let's work this out together."
"You mean I don't have to do this on my own?" I asked.
"No you don't. You just didn't reach out for help but now I wouldn't wait for you to reach out. I will help you if you let me."

I still remember clearly because on that morning I burst into tears and reached out to him. I had thought I had gone too far because even when I tried, I couldn't help myself.

He held me.

It was an intimate embrace, one of reassurance. The kind you give to a beloved who strayed from home. The kind that says "Welcome home. You are safe here."

On that day in March, as he held me I spoke to him. Saying how sorry I was, promising to do better if he stood by me. And I made a commitment to never turn away again if he caused a change that is evident. He promised and I began a new journey with him - again.

That day I wrote out the things I wanted and even though I wasn't sure how I would get them, I decided to trust him.
Days turned into weeks and though it seemed like not much had changed, the metamorphosis had begun. I had cleaned my closet and was collecting new things, habits, building new relationships. 

Weeks turned into a month, a month became months and before long it was evident that a new thing had begun for me. He kept his part of the deal and surprised me in ways I never imagined. It was like a dream, this man. He is full of pleasant surprises.

"Why didn't I do this before now? Why did I wait so long? Better late than never" I told myself as I basked in the euphoria of being 'HIS'.

Sometimes I wasn't sure what step to take but I walked nonetheless, with him. He had shown that he is the way.

It's been 9 months since that day in March - about the time of life. A woman who took in then would have been close to birthing or may have birthed her baby by now. I too like that woman have fruits to show - not of the womb but of life. Grace.

The conversation I had with him that morning has birthed change. I am light years from where I was on that day in March and the days before - I am a different girl. The saved girl.

Today I had a conversation with him again, recalling that day in March when he reached out to me and began a refurbishment, remodeling, rehabilitation, renovation in my life.

Today I call him Eben, an abbreviation or derivation if you like of his name Ebenezer meaning Helper. 

The Helper! Ochuko!

He showed up in the nick of time. If you dare, you too can reach out to him. He is the King who came to serve and save.
You too may call him Ebenezer if you like or Eben for short. You can even call him Emmanuel - God with us. Or simply Father.
Whatever name you choose, He will answer if you are sincere.

1 Samuel 7:12 "Then Samuel took a stone, and set [it] between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the LORD helped us."

No comments:

Post a Comment