add

Saturday 20 June 2020

He Fixes Broken Things




Broken things are not allowed in the palace - it's a thing. 
If you think I'm joking, go back to the record of Kings.
From Saul that man who stood head and shoulder above all
He was tall and strong, the most handsome of them all
To David whose reign was characterized by wars and alotta skirmish
and Absalom in whom there was not even a single blemish

Broken things are not allowed in the palace, don't you know?
It's a space for diamonds, gold and every precious stone you know
Broken things and people have no room even in the servants' quarter
Cos the palace has no space for a life filled with clutter
It's a place for Kings and nobles and men courageous and whole
Who dine and wine from goblets that can buy even your soul

Broken things are not allowed in the palace you see
That means in it there's no space for people like me
Broken, battered, shattered with a proclivity for mistakes
A life mutilated and marred by all the wrong choices I make
Yet the palace was the one place where I desperately needed a space
I wanted to be in, even before I had an encounter with amazing grace

I fussed and pressed as I thought of a way through
Read the books, seeking counsel that might birth a breakthrough
I pined, and yearned, hungered and hankered till I was worn
Yet eager to find a space even if it meant being scorched by the sun
But the truth hit hard forcing me flat on my face
Broken things and people will never in a palace find space

Then I met this King, the one called the God of Jeshurun and Zion
Ephrathah! He said and my cup filled up to inundation
Now I have become Hephzibah and my land Beulah
A personification of grace and mercy with a dose of charisma
He accepts and fixes broken things till they are free to be
But you may never understand if you had never met me

Broken things can be allowed in the palace, this truth I have learnt
Cos of the God who fixes things and people no matter how broken or bent.
And if you doubt cos you think you are too broken to be fixed
Then ask about the girl I was before He called out "Talitha Cumi"
He breathed and suddenly life has a new meaning for me
And I can scream Rehoboth! because in the palace, he's made room for me.

10 comments:

  1. Being broken might not be visible to we humans cause so many damaged people move about daily with smiles hoping no one sees how badly damaged they are.
    Just as a faulty generator might look so good outwardly its engine might be all worn out internally. Only God who sees where no one can see, can fix what no one can fix... and truly he still specializes in fixing broken things and giving them that purpose that fits them into the Palace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your second paragraph speaks volumes, things only an Engineer would know. And yes, so many still roam broken on the inside yet seeming fine on the outside.

      This underpines our need for God cos He only truly sees where no mortal no matter how eagle-eyed can see. And until His work is done, we will keep ruining our chances.

      Glad that there's no shadow He wouldn't light up, no lie He wouldn't kick down as His love chases us recklessly, and gives us a purpose that makes us fit in the Palace.

      Thank you Hillard for your profound comment.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad it is that impactful...thank you.

      Delete
  3. This touched my deepest parts, very very timely for me. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to know it is timely for you. You are welcome. Thank you too.

      Delete
  4. This is just absolutely lovely! At first, it was heart breaking,"broken things are not allowed you see ".

    Then like light swarms darkness the good news came, "broken things can be allowed in the palace"
    Cos broken things can be fixed and even remade.
    Talitha Cumi,(Little girl I say to you rise) is the message of rebirth, remake and fixing that our God does.

    Its the reason he came, not for the righteous but the broken. That they may be fixed.
    Thanks for sharing, this is really beautiful write.

    P.S I remember Talitha cumi was a favourite phrase of Ufuoma's when we were in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting with P.S., I had no idea and your second paragraph is written like a true poet would.
      Broken things cannot only be fixed, they can be remade. So true!
      And that's the work of our God. I am proof.
      Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  5. I don't even know 5% of who you actually are but looking at your journey right from Delta State to where you are at the moment, I had said to myself before now, that this journey of yours, it is very obvious His Spirit has been your guide all this while and He is taking you somewhere. Due to emotional involvement I never wanted you out of warri, but when it is time for Israel to leave Egypt, God will always break every barrier to send each one to their Canaan.
    Is not the first time you have written something like this and sincerely, I love the woman you have turned out to be each passing day.
    Indeed God is so amazing. Some of us our past stinks more badly than a dustbin, but is so amazing how He patiently takes His time to give us a good bath.
    I love your beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spirit of God has indeed been my guide and that is in spite of myself. It's been a journey and while I'm yet to scratch the surface of His plans, I have to agree with you that He patiently takes his time to give us a good bath.
      Thank you Innocent, you have consistently been supportive for over a decade and I pray that Grace brings you the best of life's blessings. Thank you.

      Delete