add

Friday 19 June 2020

A Love Stronger Than You or I


A love stronger than you or I,
A love that would never say bye.
Speaking the truth undiluted, bitter but peppered with warmth,
Reminding us that in our similarities and differences lie our worth.
Remembering to forget the wrongs, constantly forgiving imperfections,
Holding instead to the good, the simple understated yet honest intentions.
Never forgetting the richness of the laughter that warms our soul,
Even on the days when all we can manage is a sigh or a growl.

A love seemingly fragile yet consistent enough to make a mockery of lust,
Bigger, braver, higher, wider and stronger than the two of us.
Staying even when pushed to the brink by hurtful words and wrongs,
Staying because the many more rights are what make us so strong.
A love that understands that there are so many things we are not, like perfect,
Yet sees the realness, strength, resilience and genuineness we reflect.
Through life's many seasons of cool, warmth and hot,
Like gold it got purer as it was forged in life's heated pot.

A love that says Yes! rescuing and choosing us over and again,
Reminding us that the gift of each other is our greatest gain.
Through years of pain, turmoil, tears and hard days,
Holding and keeping us safe as we find our way back to sunny days.
An affair that defies logic making a mess of arrogance and pride,
That even when we thought we would die, we always stayed on for one last ride.
Now I look back and wonder where all the time went,
As I ponder on the love that held my heart steady from the day we met.

A love that got us two on a life long dance of tango,
And now we know that try as we might there's no letting go.
Giving me wings to soar, nudging me to reach for, do and be more,
Standing tall through the toasts we made as we became so much more.
As the colours fade and I watch heaven come to me,
I admit that my biggest gain is to have been loved for me.
That a soul reset its priorities the day it set sights on mine,
Relinquishing the familiar to make his heart and life accommodate mine.

And if I could rewind the clock to turn back time's hand,
I would still give all for this love God gave me through your hand.
Through water and fire I'd walk and my flag I'd hoist,
Till I feel that tingle in my heart caused only by the sound of your voice.
I would watch, pray and wait forever and a day more,
Cos for your love, there's nothing I wouldn't do or endure.
This love that in its minutest form is stronger than you or I,
And would never say bye, no matter how hard we try.

2 comments:

  1. Just as water is to a plant, so much more is love to this life. Among the reasons I love you so much is the way you love 'Love'. It literally reflects in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'Love' Innocent and Grace will make love 'Love' me more. Thank you Innocent, you are such a deep thinker.

    ReplyDelete