add

Wednesday 18 April 2018

Sometimes It's Hard To Say Thy Will be Done


I listened intently to the voice of Cece Winans as she sang 'Thy Will be Done' and for the first time I became somehow hyper aware of the meaning of her song.

It was like an eureka moment for me as I had never taken in the meaning of the song and all I could think of is how difficult it is to really let God's will be done. I mean asking for his will and not hoping it will be what I have in mind.

I think it's one of the hardest things to do especially in times when you want to do what your mind - the seat of emotion and intellect, tells you is right. Times when you feel the need to take what you think is rightfully yours in the face of oppression or when you feel the need to defend yourself against violence.

Times like this, when Nigerians are being slaughtered like sheep without value and it seems like nothing is being done and no one is being held accountable, when some innocent citizens are being made to pay for crimes they didn't commit.

It is at times like this that preachers tell congregants to take up arms and defend themselves and fathers buy guns or sharpen their machetes to protect their wives and babies because what used to be movie scenes have become reality. 

Now mothers cry as they helplessly watch their sons and daughters maimed and raped and young men and women willingly brace death in the desert and Mediterranean Sea instead of staying in a country they have lost faith in.

Times when you dare not mention love and peace because the words seems to be the reason for heartless men to continue inflicting terror without resistance.
It is hard to say 'thy will be done' when what you want is your human will to live and not be killed because of your faith, the will to enjoy life in peace and quiet even though the Bible already speaks of the tribulations you will have to endure on earth.

 Jesus Christ taught us to pray 'thy will be done on earth' but when he was faced with death,he had his 'human' moment too as recorded in Matthew 26:42 KJV: 'He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.' But he knew that he was sent to die.

This makes it harder because I do not think it is God's will for me to be killed violently and therefore will not be silent or not act when my life, dignity, work or family is being threatened.

I hope to be able to fully let God's will be done in my life but I wonder if that means embracing the morning sun in the face of danger or death and wholeheartedly saying 'thy will be done'.

No comments:

Post a Comment