add

Saturday 14 April 2018

If You Are A Football Fan, Do Not Read This

I had to put a disclaimer as the title of this post so now I can write with a clear 'conchest'.

I do not hate football but I do not watch the game.

I do not watch not because I have not tried, honestly I tried but couldn't understand the running around a field chasing a ball, the anxiety on the part of spectators and the excitement that comes from seeing a ball kicked into a net...I couldn't.

I also do not hate football, how dare I hate a game that unites the world for all of 90 minutes - if there's no extra time - and afterwards causes division amongst members of opposing teams?

How dare I hate a sport whose players earn thousands of pounds weekly while all some of the fans get are bragging rights about which player earns more or who deserves more?

How can I hate a sport that could leave die hard fans depressed or so angry that they lose their appetite because their team lost while the players who are the real partakers hug each other after the game no matter who won or lost?

You see, I cannot hate a sport that some people have killed for or haven't you read the story of a driver who ran over a pedestrian because the said pedestrian was wearing the jersey of the club that just beat his own club?

Talking about 'his own' club, I'm fascinated by the way fans act and talk as if they are part owners of football clubs especially when I hear them personalize victories and losses.

I'm sure you have heard or probably said yourself 'we lost today or we are buying Neymar o'.
The fascination for me stems from the fact that people can feel so connected to a system they are not really part of and cannot really influence. Or do you get to be part of the bargain for which player should be bought by Chelsea?

I do not hate football and have nothing against football fans, in fact I once got a customized Jersey which I wore proudly no matter who was winning or losing and even tried playing football with my colleagues.

You may say life is best lived when we find what we are passionate about and if it is football then one should 'support their club with passion' but I say the game itself is a battle and peace begins when you choose your battles wisely.

4 comments:

  1. The love for the game actually comes from deep down, as humans we want to get connected to something (the larger the fan base the better) that's why woman join social clubs and brag about it or grassroot politicians brag about their parties. We (humans) are social beings and derive immense joy from being a part of something big

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you but I think moderation is key in whatever our passion is.

      Delete
  2. Ifeoluwa Odedina18 May 2018 at 05:50

    Hi, I stumbled on your blog when I was looking a picture to go with the "We are nothing but pencils..." line. I decided to peruse through and I ended up reading this article.
    It has a funny title and some re nice observations you made there. I want to bring in a bit of psychology in trying to explain football's attraction. No you have to realize that football is in a way, a replacement for the blood sports of the old Roman and Greek empires where men were sent unto the stage to fight one another or even wild beasts as entertainment for horses of often unfit unlookers. It was also a great way to distract a teeming pupulace who were laboring under oppressive rule and harsh taxation much as obtains in our own day, only that the football leagues are not state sponsored now but run by huge conglomerates of sports management firms and TV companies.
    It is also a great way to take a second tax from the financially unintelligent via sports betting. So football is so popular because it speaks to a desire within us to be strong and athletic and gives us the opportunity to subconsciously express those wishful fancies in the image of our favorite players. It speaks to the deep desire to lead armies and conquer territories which is now expressed in the victories and trophies of our favorite teams. There is more to say, but this post is too long already (and it's not my blog, LOL). I hope I was able to shed some light though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ifeoluwa,
      You did shed a lot of light on this issue and it buttresses the fact that the feeling of euphoria is all that fans get. The real beneficiaries are players and organizers.
      I am glad you enjoyed the article and do hope you check out others.
      Thank you Ifeoluwa.

      Delete